Interested in Applying...
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, March 10, 2017 before spring break.
- Please click here to apply where you will be directed to set up a free Iris Account so you can begin your application process.
- A completed application form by setting up your free Iris Account to apply.
- What: Kellar Radio Talent Institute
- Where: Beasley Media Complex Room 224 Campus of Appalachian State University
- When: Monday, June 5 - Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- Attended By: All college students, recent grads, grad school students
- Number of Students Accepted: A Maximum of 25
- Student Fee: $385.00 per person
- Housing: App Heights: Housing rates will be released by the University at the beginning of the spring semester. Typically for ten days/nine nights cost is approximately $200 for 2/room and approximately $285 for 1/room. This covers the room rate for nine nights and includes a parking permit.
- TO APPLY: Please click here to apply.
- A GPA of 2.5 or higher (you can ask for a waiver if lower)
- A completed application form.
- It is beneficial, though not mandatory, that the student be a broadcast major or minor and/or already work at the college radio station, or interned at a radio station. We have accepted students from other majors including Business, Marketing, PR, Advertising, English, Photography, Accounting, etc.
In addition to and along with the application, please also submit:
- A two-page essay addressing:
- why you want to be in this program
- why you want to pursue a career in broadcasting
- what you hope to gain by attending this institute
- If interested in on air and programming (news, sports, air talent, etc.) please submit a 2-4 minute aircheck (audio sample) along with a resume and three references. At least one reference should be a school faculty member.
- If interested in sales or management please submit resume and a written dialogue (PDF) of a sales pitch and proposal. See the guidelines on the application form. Also submit three references, with at least one reference a school faculty member.
- One letter of recommendation.
- Curriculum and subject matter: Will range from on-air performance to programming to sales, management, production, and ownership. The program will place emphasis on entry-level position preparation to help each student get his or her career started.
- Materials: Each student will receive a notebook, shirt, and bag, and a list of all the industry professionals teaching the sessions, their bios and an agenda for the week.
- Laptops: A laptop is required. The institute can at times have laptops available on a first come first serve basis, but it is your responsibility to have a laptop.
- Accepted: Once accepted you will be notified of your acceptance and at that point you will be provided information on registering.